Roasted Banana & Rum Cookies
Yields about 24 -28 cookies. Recipe adapted from Simply Recipes & My Recipes.
Prep time: >15 minutes
Cook time: About 14 minutes
For the bananas:
- 2 1/2 bananas, sliced
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Captain Morgan spiced rum
For the cookies:
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash of salt
For the icing:
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 -2 tablespoons eggnog*
- About 1 cup chopped almonds
*I liked my frosting a little bit runnier so it dripped off the edges. You can definitely omit 1/2 -1 tablespoon for thicker frosting.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place the bananas in a glass baking dish in a layer. Top with melted butter and rum. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Roast for about 8 minutes or until slightly caramelized. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large KitchenAid mixer, beat the butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla, or until soft and fluffy. Add the banana and rum mixture and mix to combine. In another bowl, whisk the baking soda, cinnamon and flour together. Gradually add the flour mixture to the banana butter mixture, stirring to combine.
- Cover the mixture with saran wrap and chill for about 2 hours.
- Once chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Drop the cookies in dollops onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 11 – 13 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool completely before you frost.
- While cookies cool, prepare frosting by beating the butter, powdered sugar and eggnog together. If too runny, add additional sugar. Once cookies have cooled, frost and sprinkle with chopped almonds.
Nutritional information per cookie:
Fat: 6 grams
Carbohydrates: 25 grams
Fiber: >1 gram
Protein: 1.9 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 4