Pumpkin Apple Lentil Muffins
Yields about 14 muffins.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: About 15 – 16 minutes
- 1 cup high quality all purpose gluten-free flour
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 3/4 teaspoon Bob’s Red Mill xanthum gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie mix
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup lentil puree* (see below)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 large apple, chopped
For the glaze:
- 1 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons light cream
*To make lentil puree, simply cook 1 cup of Bob’s Red Mill red lentils as the package indicates. Once fully cooked, place into a food processor and pulse with 1/4 cup of water until pureed (mixture will resemble canned pumpkin or almond butter).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, almond meal, xanthum gum, baking powder and pumpkin pie spice. Make a center into the middle and add in the egg, lentil puree, peanut butter, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, applesauce and apple butter. With a wooden spoon, stir the mixture until fully combined. Gently fold in the pecans and apples.
- Spoon the batter into the paper liners, filling about 3/4 the way full. Bake for about 14 – 16 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze by whisking the powdered sugar and light cream together. While the muffins are still slightly warm, glaze.
Nutritional information per serving (1 muffin)
Fat: 7.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 25.8 grams
Fiber: 1.6 grams
Protein: 4 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 5