Low-fat Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes
Yields about 8 pancakes. Recipe slightly adapted from Cooking Light.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash of salt
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash of oil for cooking
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda together. Set aside. In another bowl, whisk the applesauce, buttermilk and eggs together. Carefully add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients with a whisk (this will make the pancakes fluffy, do not stir with a spoon). Mixture will be chunky and lumpy (which is a good thing).
- Heat about 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add about 1/4 cup of batter into the pan. Cook pancake on one side until the batter starts to bubble. Then, using a nonstick spatula, flip the pancake. Cook another 3 – 4 minutes, or until both sides are golden brown.
Nutritional information per pancake:
Fat: 4 grams
Carbohydrates: 26.5 grams
Fiber: 1 gram
Protein: 3.2 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 4