Gluten-free Peanut Butter Thumbprints
Yields about 24 cookies. Recipe inspired by Martha Stewart.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 16 minutes
- 1 cup gluten-free AP flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash of salt
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar for dusting
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup jam (I used my homemade strawberry)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt together. In another bowl, beat peanut butter, applesauce, butter and brown sugar together until smooth and creamy. Add egg and almond extract and mix until smooth. Gradually add the flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture, beating after each addition until a dough forms.
- Roll dough into balls and then roll into white sugar. Place each ball onto the cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake for about 10 minutes. Pull cookies out and make an indent using the back of a spoon or your thumb (cookies will be hot). After each cookie has a print, push back into the oven and bake another 6 minutes, or until golden brown.
- While cookies are warm, place about 1/2 teaspoon of jam into the indent of each cookie. Let cool completely and enjoy!
Nutritional information per cookie:
Fat: 4.2 grams
Carbohydrates: 5.43 grams
Fiber: 2.5 grams
Protein: 5.1 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 2