Serves about 24.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 x 8 baking sheet with parchment paper and then spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the sugar, vanilla, butter and unsweetened applesauce together until smooth and creamy. Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In another bowl, whisk the flours, cocoa powder and salt together. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir until fully combined. Using a spoon, carefully fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared dish. Bake for about 38 – 42 minutes, or until browned and crackly on top.
- Let cool completely then remove from the pan.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter, cocoa powder, sugar and vanilla in another mixing bowl. Spread the frosting over the top of the brownies and garnish with additional chocolate chips.
Nutritional information per brownie:
Fat: 14 grams
Carbohydrates: 50 grams
Fiber: >1 gram
Protein: 3.8 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 9