Easy Tofu Ramen
Serves about 4.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 – 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, sliced and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 quart low-sodium vegetable broth (homemade or store bought)
- 3 – 4 tablespoons soy sauce, divided (I used low-sodium)
- 12 ounces ramen noodles
For the tofu:
- 1 package extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons spicy Asian chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
For the toppings:
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and sliced
- 1 cup kimchi, divided
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- Fresh cilantro
- Sriracha for garnish
For the soft boiled eggs:
- Cut the tofu into bite-size pieces. In a bowl, whisk the hoisin, spicy Asian chili sauce and soy sauce together. In a large ziplock bag, mix the tofu pieces and the marinade together. Chill for at least 1 – 2 hours.
- Once marinated, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Scoop the tofu out of the marinade and place in the baking dish, careful to evenly distribute the tofu. Drizzle 2 – 4 tablespoons of marinade over the tofu and bake for about 25 – 30 minutes, stopping to toss the tofu after 10 minutes so it evenly bakes.
- In a large Dutch Oven over medium heat, add the olive oil. Add in the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, or until slightly fragrant. Add the onions and cook over medium-high heat for 2 – 3 minutes. Stir in the ginger, broth and soy sauce. Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Bring another small pot (about 4 – 6 cups) of water to a rapid boil. Add the ramen noodles and cook for about 4 – 6 minutes, or until soft. Drain and set aside.
- To make the soft boiled egg, fill a saucepan with a few inches of water (enough to cover an egg) to a rapid boil. Reduce the water to a rapid simmer and gently (VERY GENTLY) lower the eggs into the water. Cook the eggs for about 5 – 6 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and then immediately rinse in cold water. To peel, wrap in paper towels and gently tap the egg with the back of a spoon to crack it. Gently peel.
- When ready to serve, spoon the broth into four bowls. Add in the ramen noodles and top with a few tablespoons of jalapeno, 1/4 cup kimchi, 1/4 cup bean sprouts, fresh cilantro, 2 soft boiled eggs and a heap (like 2 – 4 tablespoons) of crispy tofu.
Nutritional information per serving:
Fat: 17.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 21 grams
Fiber: 1 gram
Protein: 17.2 grams