Easy Mini Blueberry Pies
Yields 3 mini pies (serves about 6). Crust recipe slightly adapted from Cooking Light.
Prep time: About 30 minutes
Cook time: About 45 minutes
For the crust:
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 – 3/4 cup ice water
- About 6 tablespoons butter (or vegetable shortening)
- Dash of salt
- 1 2/3 teaspoons brown sugar
For the filling:
- About 4 cups blueberries
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 1/4 tablespoon butter, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest from 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/3 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the crust: Spoon flour into measuring cups and level with a knife (you need the precise amount of flour). Mix 2/3 cup of the flour with the ice water and set aside. In another large mixing bowl, mix the remaining flour, salt and sugar. Cut the butter mixture into the flour/sugar mixture until it resembles coarse sand. Slowly add the water/flour mix to the butter mixture, stirring with a fork until the rest of the flour is moistened. Add additional water if dough is too dry. Shape dough into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for about 20 minutes. Once chilled, remove from plastic wrap and roll (on a heavily floured surface with a floured rolling pin) to about 1/4 – 1/3 inch thickness.
- Place three mini tart pans (I used these Le Creuset ones) face down on top of the dough to measure how much you’ll need. Using a knife, cut the dough around the indented pan with about 1/4 inch extra to fold over. Using your fingers, press the dough down into the pans. Use your fingers to situate dough around the edges of the pan until they reach the top of the ridges. Repeat with the second and third pie pan. Set aside. If you run out of dough, supplement the missing part of the pan with store bought crust.
- To make the filling mix the blueberries, sugars, corn starch, lemon juice, lemon zest, cinnamon and vanilla. Add cut up chunks of butter into the mixture and stir.
- Scoop the filling into the pie crusts, filling each about 2/3 the way full.
- To make the lattice, roll out remaining dough (or store bought dough) to about 1/3 inch thickness. Using a knife, cut out 12 – 14 one inch strips. Layer the strips on top of each other in a lattice pattern (use this photo as a guide).
- Bake pies for about 45 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Let cool slightly and serve warm!
Nutritional information per serving (about 1/2 mini pie):
Fat: 8.9 grams
Carbohydrates: 62 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Protein: 3.8 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 9
This post contains affiliate links.