Easy Homemade Baklava
Yields about 32 servings. Adapted from All Recipes.
Prep time: 15 – 20 minutes
Cook time: About 40 – 50 minutes
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2/3 cup pistachios
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 16 ounce package phyllo dough, thawed
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 cups blueberries and raspberries
- Fresh whipped cream for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the nuts and cinnamon together. While working with the phyllo dough, make sure to cover the other stack with a damp cloth to avoid drying.
- Carefully peel 2 sheets of phyllo dough apart. Stack them on top of each other into the bottom of the 9 x 13-inch pan. Brush the top of the dough with melted butter and sprinkle with 2 to 3 tablespoons of nuts and cinnamon. Repeat the layers, 2 sheets at a time, being sure to brush the tops liberally with butter and nuts. Once you’re done, your last layer should be 3 to 4 sheets of phyllo dough.
- Using a sharp knife, cut diagonal slits in the top to make about 34 diamonds. Bake in the preheated oven for about 40 -45 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, make the syrup by mixing the sugars, water and vanilla together. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low. Stir in the honey. Reduce to low and let simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pour the syrup over the baklava. Let cool for about an hour.
- Once cool, stack the tops with fresh whipped cream and berries.
Nutritional information per serving (about 2 squares):
Fat: 14 grams
Fiber: 1.9 gram
Protein: 5 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 7