Creamy Corn Chowder
Serves about 6.
Prep time: 10 – 12 minutes
Cook time: About 15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper, chopped
- 5 1/2 cups fresh corn (or about 6 ears)
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- Crispy french bread for garnish
- Shredded parmesan for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil. Add a dash of salt. Remove the husks and the hair from the corn. Rinse off each ear to remove any remaining hairs. Add the corn, cover and cook for about 3 – 5 minutes, or until corn is cooked. Remove from heat and let sit in water for an additional 2 – 4 minutes. Let cool completely and then slice corn kernels off the cob with a knife, discarding the cobs.
- Melt the butter in a dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the shallots and cook about 3 minutes, or until softened. Add the pepper and cook another 4 – 5 minutes, or until softened. Add 5 cups of corn and chicken broth. Mix in the rosemary, thyme and salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Let simmer for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Pour the soup into a large blender and blend until pureed. Return the soup to the dutch oven. Mix in remaining corn, 3 slices of chopped bacon and heavy cream. Stir to combine. Heat another 5 minutes, or until warmed.
- Pour into 6 bowls and garnish with remaining chopped bacon, avocado pieces, crispy bread and parmesan cheese. Add some pepper to garnish.
Nutritional information per serving:
Fat: 13 grams
Carbohydrates: 24.6 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Protein: 6.6 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 6