Creamy Cauliflower Mac N’ Cheese
Serves about 8. Adapted from Vegetarian Times.
Prep time: 10 – 14 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: About 44 minutes
- 1 large head cauliflower (at least 1 1/2 pounds) cut into florets
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 egg yolks, whisked
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs*
- Salt and pepper
*OPTIONAL. Omit if you’d prefer gluten-free.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a standard size baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil. Add a dash of salt. Add the cauliflower florets and boil for about 5 minutes, or until fork tender.
- In another saucepan, melt butter over medium high heat. Once melted, whisk in the flour until a thick paste forms. Gradually add in the milk, one cup at a time, or until mixture is thick (it should coat the back of a spoon). Remove from heat and immediately whisk in cheese, nutritional yeast and egg yolks.
- Add the cauliflower and fold in until evenly coated. Add salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the top with breadcrumbs and additional salt and pepper.
- Bake until cheese is bubbly, about 30 minutes.
- Serve with fresh greens, like parsley.
Nutritional information per serving:
Fat: 14.2 grams
Carbohydrates: 23.25 grams
Fiber: 8 grams
Protein: 25.2 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 8