Creamy Asparagus Gazpacho
Serves about 4. Recipe adapted from Food & Wine.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: About 30 minutes
Total time: About 1 hour
For the asparagus:
- 1 pound green asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1/2 pound white asparagus, ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the soup:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 habanero peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup light cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the garnishes:
- 1 cup croutons
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and chopped
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Pine nuts for garnish
- Olive oil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In two large baking dishes, spread the asparagus so none of the stalks are overlapping. Drizzle both with olive oil and garnish with salt and pepper.
- Roast for about 20 minutes, flipping the stalks at 10, or until slightly browned and softened. Remove from stove and chop into quarters. Toss into a blender.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onions and cook about 4 minutes, or until slightly translucent. Add in garlic and habanero and cook for another 2 -3 minutes. Add in the vegetable broth and salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer another 20 minutes, or until reduced slightly and vegetables are tender.
- Pour into the large blender (with the asparagus) and salt and pepper; then blend until creamy. Add in heavy cream and blend again until smooth.
- Chill for about 25 – 30 minutes, or until chilled. Pour into bowls and garnish with croutons, chopped pepper, cilantro, pine nuts and drizzle with olive oil.
Nutritional information per serving (1 bowl):
Fat: 22 grams
Carbohydrates: 18.75 grams
Fiber: 2.45 grams
Protein: 5.75 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 8