Chocolate Whiskey Bread Pudding
Serves about 10 -12. Slightly adapted from My Recipes.
Prep time: 30+ minutes
Cook time: 1 1/2 hours
Total time: 2 hours
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 7 cups chopped whole wheat french bread, slightly stale
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup light cream
- 2 1/2 tablespoons honey/maple flavored whiskey
- 8 ounces milk chocolate chips
- 5 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh whipped cream for garnish
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the bread cubes and toss to coat with tongs. Remove from heat and pour into a grease 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Bring the milk, light cream and whiskey to a boil. Remove from heat and immediately whisk in chocolate chips. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, the brown sugar, honey and vanilla. Continue to whisk until thick and smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the bread, tossing the cubes so they are all evenly coated. Cover with foil and let sit for about 30 minutes. Add a few pokes into the foil to allow steaming.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake for about 1 1/2 hours. Let sit until slightly cooled.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining chocolate chips and oil in a microwave safe bowl for about 60 seconds, stopping to stir at 30 seconds.
- Serve the bread pudding with a dollop of whipped cream and a drizzle of melted chocolate.
Nutritional information per serving:
Fiber: 3.5 grams
Protein: 11 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 10