Chocolate Chip Wheat Germ Muffins
Yields 12 muffins. Recipe adapted from Cooking Light.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: About 13 minutes.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ (I used Kretschmer)
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- dash of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup milk (I used skim)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cherries
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir the flour, wheat germ, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together. Make a well in the center.
- In another bowl, mix the egg, light cream, skim milk, canola oil, applesauce and egg together. Pour the wet mixture into the well of the dry mixture and stir to combine. Gently stir in cherries and chocolate chips until fully incorporated.
- Fill muffin liners about 2/3 – 3/4 the way full with batter. Bake for about 13 – 15 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Nutritional information per muffin:
Fat: 6.1 grams
Carbohydrates: 33 grams
Fiber: 2.5 grams
Protein: 4.2 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 5