Chicken & Spaghetti Squash with a Light Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Serves about 3 servings (1/2 cup pasta, 4 tablespoons sauce & 4 ounces chicken).
Prep time: About 15 minutes
Cook time: About 20 minutes
- 1 pound spaghetti squash, cooked and scooped out
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/4 cup chopped shiitake mushrooms
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat (or butter/oil)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoons oregano
- About 1/3 cup low-fat alfredo sauce (use this recipe) *
*If you don’t have this, sub in 4 tablespoons of light or heavy cream, 5 1/2 tablespoons chicken broth and 4 tablespoons of white wine for a delicious homemade cream sauce! [See below for cooking instructions with this]
- Cut chicken into slices. In a large skillet over medium-high heat bacon fat. Add onions and cook for about 2 minutes. Add in garlic and mushrooms and cook until just soft, another 2 minutes. Add chicken, salt, pepper and oregano reduce heat to medium and cook until chicken is fully cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken from the skillet and place on a cutting board.
- Remove vegetable mixture from heat and stir in alfredo. Add additional sauce if you want it creamier. Scoop about 3 – 4 tablespoons of creamy vegetable mixture onto of 1/2 cup of spaghetti squash. Place 3 ounces of chicken on top of the creamy mixture and enjoy!
- *IF you are making the sauce: Remove chicken from the skillet. Pour wine into the skillet and simmer until almost evaporated, scraping up any browned bits. Pour in broth and cook until reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in cream and simmer for about 2 minutes. Serve over the pasta!
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories: 274. 33
Fat: 9 grams
Carbohydrates: 22 grams
Fiber: 1.2 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 7