Chicken BBQ with Pineapple BBQ Sauce Recipe
Makes about 5 sandwiches
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: About 5 hours
Sauce recipe adapted from Southern Foods.
- 3 frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, strained
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3/4 cup Jack Daniels
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Dashes of salt and pepper
- In a medium sauce pan, heat olive oil and cook onions and garlic until soft and fragrant, about 2 minutes. AddJack Daniels until translucent, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and light; let flame sit for 20 seconds. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and turn heat down to low. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove and strain through a wire mesh strainer over a bowl to catch the onions and garlic.
- Chill sauce overnight.
- Next day, place chicken in a slow cooker. Pour sauce over it and set on low. Let cook for 3 hours if on high and about 5 hours on low. When chicken is fully cooked, remove from sauce and shred in another bowl.
- Place chicken back into the sauce and let sit for at least an hour to absorb the flavor.
- Serve with a whole wheat bun and enjoy!
Nutritional information per 1 cup: 365 calories, 13 grams of fat, 45 grams of carbohydrates, 3 grams of fiber and 22 grams of protein.