Cheesy Baked Spinach Eggs
Serves about 4. Inspired by Bon Appetit.
Prep time: <10 minutes
Cook time: About 15 minutes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped leeks
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 5 eggs
- 2 – 3 slices of turkey bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 3/4 – 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 – 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil. Mix in the garlic, onions and leeks and cook until just softened, about 4 – 6 minutes. Stir in the tomato, lemon juice and spinach. Increase heat to high and cook until spinach is wilted, about 4 minutes.
- Move the mixture to another skillet, draining the excess liquid from the spinach and discarding. Mix in the cooked bacon (I used 2 1/2 slices), salt, pepper and crushed red pepper. Make five small indentations into the mixture.
- Carefully crack the eggs over the indentations. (Do this so the yolks don’t break and you don’t get any egg shells). Sprinkle the top with mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. Add cracked black pepper.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Bake the eggs until for about 12 – 15 minutes, or until the egg whites are set (but the yolks are still a little runny) and cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Sprinkle the tops with chopped basil and additional salt and pepper. Serve warm with crusty bread or toast.
Nutritional information per serving:
Fat: 15.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 7.75 grams
Fiber: 6 grams
Protein: 19 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 6