Brussel Sprouts Gratin
Serves 2. Recipe adapted from Eating Well.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: About 30 minutes
- About 2 1/2 cups of brussel sprouts, halved
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Dash of salt
- About 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Homemade croutons or bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place brussel sprouts on a baking sheet and sprinkle with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast for about 15 – 22 minutes, or until golden brown and soft to the touch. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, make sauce by heating the remaining olive oil in a skillet. Add onions and cook until soft and translucent about 3 minutes. Add flour, salt and pepper and heat another minute. Add the milk and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook until mixture is thick, about 3 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Lightly crease two Le Creuset mini oval cocottes with oil. Layer 1/2 of the brussel sprouts on the bottom. Top the sprouts with the sauce. Top the sauce with the rest of the brussel sprouts. Sprinkle the tops of the brussel sprouts with breadcrumbs or croutons and additional parmesan cheese.
- Turn oven on to broil. Broil brussel sprouts for about 3 – 5 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly and top is golden.
Nutritional information per serving:
Fat: 12 grams
Carbohydrates: 25 grams
Fiber: 6 grams
Protein: 14.5 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 7