Ahi Tuna Tacos with Homemade Tortillas
Yields about 6 tacos & 8 – 10 tortillas. Tortilla recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour.
Prep time: About 20 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes for tortillas and 5 – 6 minutes for fish
For the tortillas:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1 cup hot (110 degrees) water
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- Dash of salt
For the tacos:
- 2 (5 ounce) ahi tuna filets
- 1 1/2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 orange sweet peppers, chopped
- 2 plump tomatoes, sliced or chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 ounces soft goat cheese
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
For the avocado cream sauce:
- 1 avocado
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- Salt and pepper
- Start by making the tortillas. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together. Using a pastry knife, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles a coarse sand (much like a pie crust). Gradually stir in the honey and the hot water, mixing until a soft dough comes together. If you need, add a bit more water if the dough is still dry.
- Move the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until soft and elastic, about 4 minutes. Divide the dough into 8 pieces and roll into a soft ball. Place on a baking sheet and cover with greased saran wrap or a damp towel. Let rest for about 45 minutes.
- Once rested, heat a griddle to high heat (I used this amazing all in one Cuisinart griddle). Working with two balls of dough at a time (if you have a two part griddle), roll them out to about 8 inches. Place the tortillas next to each other on the griddle and heat for about 2 minutes on each side, or until browned spots appear. Move to a plate and cover until ready to use.
- Preheat your broiler and lightly grease a broiler pan with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle both sides of the ahi tuna with salt and pepper. Place on the broiler pan and broil (on high) for about 5 – 6 minutes, or until the outsides are browned while the insides are pink. Let rest for a minute and then slice into thin slices.
- To make the tacos, fill each tortilla with lettuce, tomatoes, sweet peppers, jalapeño and sliced tuna (about 3 – 4 slices on each). Sprinkle with goat cheese, cracked pepper and fresh cilantro.
- Scoop out the seeds and flesh from the avocado. Place in a blender. Add the almond milk, greek yogurt, lime juice, cilantro and salt and pepper. Blend until thick and creamy.
- Drizzle sauce on each taco and serve immediately!
Nutritional information per taco:
Fat: 10 grams
Carbohydrates: 26 grams
Fiber: 5 grams
Protein: 21.2 grams
Weight Watchers points: 6